Protecting Your Rights: Same-Sex Marriage And Divorce
The U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage across the country, but gay and lesbian couples continue to face unique challenges here in Texas. Whether you are planning to marry your partner or end a relationship, there are many family law issues that need to be sorted out as same-sex marriage rights represent new territory in our state.
I am attorney Mark T. Davis, and I am here to help you overcome the challenges you face regarding gay marriage or divorce. With over 20 years of legal experience, I am prepared to answer your questions and work diligently to protect your rights. Contact me at my law office in El Paso today to discuss your needs. Call 915-779-3596, or toll free, or send me an email to schedule your consultation.
Here To Answer Your Questions
I am honored to help GLBT individuals and families handle a variety of legal matters. While GLBT couples now have the same rights as heterosexual couples, you are likely to face unique family law issues and unanswered questions as you prepare for marriage or divorce, including:
- What is the effective date of a pre-existing same-sex marriage?
- How does the court’s ruling affect common-law marriages?
- How would you divide your property in the event of divorce? Should you enter into a contract now to protect your property?
- How does the ruling affect adoption and child custody and child support issues?
- Should you get a prenuptial agreement before getting married?
- If you rushed to get married soon after the ruling, without consulting a lawyer, should you consider entering into a postnuptial agreement?
Myriad questions and answers are still being defined in Texas and across the country, but the right answer for you depends on your specific situation. I would be happy to discuss your concerns and give you my honest assessment of your options.
Exercise Your Rights To The Fullest Extent
The legalization of same-sex marriage did not resolve all of the family law problems the GLBT community faces. You are likely to need to take extra steps now to ensure the law can protect you and your children in the event of divorce or the passing of your spouse.
No one wants to think of these possibilities when a new marriage is on the horizon; however I urge you to contact me to discuss your rights. I will help you get your affairs in order so that the law will protect you as it should. Call my office today at 915-779-3596, toll free at , or send an email to schedule a legal consultation.